Aluminum vs Wood Patio Cover: Which is Better?
When it comes time to install a patio cover, there are many things to consider. One of the main decisions you'll have to make is whether to go with an aluminum patio cover or a wood patio cover. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it can be tough to decide which one is right for you. In this blog post, we will discuss the pros and cons of each type of patio cover so that you can make an informed decision!
What are aluminum patio covers?
Aluminum patio covers are made out of, you guessed it, aluminum! They are a popular choice because they are low maintenance and can last many years without rusting or rotting. Aluminum patio covers are also fire resistant, which is an important consideration if you live in an area that is prone to wildfires.
Benefits of aluminum patio covers
- They are much lighter than wood patio covers, making them easier to install.
- They don't require any painting or staining, so you'll never have to worry about maintaining them.
- They are durable and will last many years without rusting or rotting.
- They can reduce heat, block UV rays from the sun, and lower heat while letting in 100% air.
- They can be customized in terms of color and style to match the design of your outdoor living space.
Disadvantages of aluminum patio covers
- Aluminum patio covers can be more expensive than wood patio covers.
- They are not as eco-friendly as wood patio covers because they are not renewable.
- They can be loud. Every raindrop that hits the cover makes a sound when it rains outside. However, this is typical of any metal roof or cover.
What are wood patio covers?
A wood patio cover is made out of...you guessed it again, wood! Wood patio covers have a more traditional look and feel than aluminum patio covers. They can also be stained or painted to match the exterior of your home. While wood patio covers may require more maintenance than aluminum ones, they can also be a more affordable option.
Benefits of wood patio covers
- They can be more affordable than aluminum patio covers.
- They can be stained or painted to match the exterior of your home
- They provide a more traditional look and feel.
- They add value to your home.
Disadvantages of wood patio covers:
- Wood patio cover requires more maintenance than aluminum patio covers because wood can rot easily.
- They will need to be stained or painted every few years to keep them looking their best.
- They are not as durable as aluminum patio covers and may only last about half as long.
- They are also not fire resistant like aluminum patio covers.
How to Choose the Right Patio Cover For Your Home
Now that you know the pros and cons of aluminum and wood patio covers, how do you choose the right one for your home? There are a few things to consider.
- First, think about your budget. If money is no object, then an aluminum patio cover might be the way to go. However, if you're working with a tight budget, wood patio covers can be a more affordable option.
- Second, think about maintenance. If you don't want to worry about maintaining your patio cover, aluminum might be the way to go. However, if you don't mind doing a little bit of upkeep every few years, wood patio covers can provide a more traditional look and feel for your home.
- Third, think about the style of your home. If you have a more modern home, aluminum patio covers might be a better option. However, a wood patio cover can provide the perfect finishing touch if you have a more traditional home.
What are some things to keep in mind when choosing a patio cover?
- Style of house/outdoor living space
Both aluminum and wood patio covers have their own advantages and disadvantages—it all depends on what is most important to you. Consider your budget, how much maintenance you are willing or able to do, and the style of your home when making your decision. Whichever patio cover you choose, enjoy spending time outdoors with family and friends.
Patio Cover Installation with Sunlight Homes
Here at Sunlight Homes, we specialize in patio cover installation. We have a team of experienced professionals who can help you choose the right patio cover for your home and budget. We also offer a wide range of other home improvement services so that we can help you with all of your exterior needs! Contact us today to get started on your patio cover project!